Saturday, July 25, 2009

a shaky start

Okay, so here's the thing. I finally decided to write a blog , due in no small part to the fact that my fiance is constantly telling me I really need my own blog. He thinks I could entertain or interest others with my rants and musings. Either that or he thinks if I rant and muse at the internet at large I won't have to do it in his general direction anymore. One of those. Having made that decision, and being very happy about it and eager to start, I came to a sudden realization. I don't actually know how to do that. Write a blog. Or, more to the point, how to start writing a blog.

The real problem lies in the fact that in a first go round you kind of just have to introduce yourself to the people of the internet (or so I presume, so I'm going with that), and I have never been very good at it. I always said I would learn to describe myself by the time I am forty. Well, the clock is ticking loudly, and I am no closer to be being able to describe myself than I have ever been. Let's hope the next few years bring some sort of miracle of self-analysis and introspection that can lead me beyond the pure facts of being a thirty-whatever, blonde, blue-eyed Canadian. Because I fear that doesn't leave you with a very complete picture. For that matter, a picture could tell you as much and more. (Except maybe the Canadian part. Pretty sure that doesn't show in photos. At least, not unless I'm wearing my toque, while playing with my pet beaver outside our igloo, and eating poutine while waving at a passing mountie. But I blinked in that photo, so I can't post it up for the internet to see. You'll just have to take my word on the whole Canadian thing.)

I have had a...well, an unusual life. Whether that life is interesting to anyone but myself is debatable. And quite honestly, even I find it tedious a lot of the time. My fiance finds me and my life interesting, but he has to, by law. And let's face it, even he has now foisted me off on you people.

So, what will this blog be about? I have no earthly idea. Mostly random thoughts. A few rants. Maybe some pointers on how to immigrate to another country. Or desperate cries for help and information on the same subject. I expect more of the latter. Oh, and probably several long, thought-provoking essays on the nature of chronic pain and the art of keeping a smile on your face when you really want to cut off various body parts with a chainsaw, because after all that sounds less painful than what you are feeling at the moment...and maybe some meaningless chatter about clothes and music and tv and stuff. That should cover it.

Hmmm...I did mention my life was unusual, right? Well, so long as you're forewarned. Here's a synopsis for those of you who haven't been paying attention (and frankly, I don't blame you if you've let your mind wander off on its own by this point). I am a thirty-something-or-other Canadian gal living with chronic pain, engaged to a wonderful, loving British man and trying to gently pick my way through the red tape of moving halfway across the world without going insane. There, now don't you want to be my bestest internet friend? Yeah, I thought so.

No comments:

Post a Comment